Compete, Share, Learn & Grow
BioVersys: New Therapy for Treatment of Anti-Microbial Resistance (AMR) Infection
Project Entries > Project Intro
BioVersys AG is a privately owned Swiss pharmaceutical company, focusing on research and development of small molecules acting on novel bacterial targets. The company’s pipeline consists of programs that allow to overcome resistance mechanisms, block virulence and toxin production of harmful bacteria, as well as programs that act as direct antibiotics. BioVersys addresses the high unmet medical need for new treatments against life threatening resistant bacterial infections and chronic inflammatory microbiome disorders. BioVersys’s most advanced programs are in late stage preclinical development for hospital acquired infections and Tuberculosis in collaboration with GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
In total BioVersys has a diverse portfolio of 5 programs at different development stages. The two most advanced programs BV100 and BVL-GSK0X8 are currently progressing through preclinical development/IND enabling studies and expected to enter clinical Phase I in early 2020.
• Acquired USD 15 million funding of pipeline projects from European Union and USA government institutions (2019);
• Twice the winner of Venture Leaders awards (2016 and 2008);
• Swiss Technology Start-up Award (2011);
CTI Start-up Sustainable Business Award (2010).
• Science publication: Science, March 17th, 2017, Vol. 355, Issue 6330, pp. 1206-1211. Reversion of antibiotic resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis by spiroisoxazoline SMARt-420.
• Existing long-term partnership with GlaxoSmithKline.
• Our third most advance project BV200 offers a non-traditional, game-changing way, to treat bacterial infections
BV200 is an anti-virulence compound disarming toxins of Staphylococcus aureus (including MRSA), making the bacteria ineffective at establishing an infection or prevents further disease progression.
Dr. Marc Gitzinger, Co-founder & CEO
• PhD in Biotechnology from the ETH Zurich;
• Entrepreneur and successful biotech fund raiser, having co-founded BioVersys AG during his Ph.D. studies in 2010 and raised > USD$21 million capital funding.
Dr. Sergio Lociuro, Chief Scientist
• Ph.D. from University of New Brunswick, Canada;
• 30 years of experience in major pharmaceutical companies and SMEs, holding positions such as Director of Medicinal Chemistry and International Project Leader in GSK, etc.
Dr. Glenn E. Dale, Chief R&D Director
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Basel;
• Post-doctoral studies in Basel; a distinguished expert in infectious diseases, and inventor on many patents with 25 years of R&D experience and significant knowledge in modern development of antibiotics; holding positions as Group Leader at Roche, etc.
Dr. Jonathan Butcher (Head of Business Development and Alliance Management);
• Ph.D. in chemistry, University of Reading, England and post-doctoral research studies at Cardiff University, Wales.
• Previously was, Head of Business Development for Polyphor’s Drug Discovery Unit, Basel, securing drug discovery collaboration & licensing deals with global pharmaceutical and biotech companies; led the valuation of Polyphor’s pipeline assets.
Status of Technology and Business Maturity
About to begin clinical phase
Project Financing, Technology Licensing, Cooperative R&D
Follow @WTOIPGlobal on Facebook to stay connected with us!